Expanded 'selection by location' options

07-30-2012 09:28 PM
ChristopherAndersen
New Contributor II
When using the 'selection by location' function in ArcGIS 10 to select features based on their spatial relationship to another feature, it seems that all of the distance propositions are for features that are "within", "contained by", "touch" or "cross"; but I do not find any spatial selection methods for the opposite conditions (i.e. "outside of", "don't touch", "doesn't cross", "not contained by", etc.). While I am currently able to use the 'remove from currently selected features' selection method to remove the features that I don't want to keep instead of selecting for the ones I do want, I suggest that there should be an option for working with an expanded set of selection methods addressing both the 'located within' type of conditions and their opposites (i.e. the 'not located within' type conditions).
1 Comment
GraemeBrowning
I would rather see this list reduced instead of expanded. 

I think it is one of the most non-intuitive dialogs in ArcGIS and could do with a design overhaul.

I found this post while looking for an idea for this to happen and if I don't find one then will attempt to describe what I am thinking of as a new ArcGIS Idea.