Select to view content in your preferred language

Esri testing — Fully test standalone tables when releasing new functionality

02-23-2023 08:48 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

With each new version of Pro, Esri releases helpful new functionality and improvements. 

One observation I've made is: Standalone tables are sometimes overlooked when new stuff is released. If I had to guess, I'd say standalone tables might not be fully incorporated into Esri's testing process; not to the degree that feature classes are. So issues with standalone tables can get overlooked.

Idea: Could Esri enhance their testing process so that standalone tables get thoroughly tested too -- to the same degree that FCs get tested? 

Edited:
I've removed the example (BUG-000155584) since that seemed to muddy the waters. For what it's worth, that bug isn't intermittent; FGDB views always fail when added to the map -- if the table is already in the Contents. It's the workaround that works intermittently. 

2 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Thanks for the post, Bud. Reading through that bug and workaround sounds like the problem is intermittent (it is always best to ensure that the steps to reproduce the problem are consistently reproducible and documented, whenever possible). The bug will be investigated to determine the problem and if possible, a regression test will be added to catch the issue. Intermittent issues don't make for good candidates in automated testing, so we'll need to do the bug investigation first. 

Functionality is already tested, but sometimes specific workflows can get missed - those scenarios end up being reported as bugs, as you have reported here. When bugs are investigated and fixed, if an automated test is possible, it is put in place.

Bud
by

@KoryKramer I've clarified the question. Thanks.