Select to view content in your preferred language

Enhance Generate Points Along Lines to support measure interval (and first/last point measures)

12-22-2022 06:49 PM
Labels (1)
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

At Creating points at hatch intervals along LRS routes, I describe a requirement I have to be able to create points at every 100m (or any specified interval) along a line that has measures.

For example, if I have a line where the start measure is 154m and the end measure is 548m I would like to be able to use a measure interval value of 100m to generate points (with the measure value written to a field) where the 200m, 300m, 400m and 500m measures are located.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1671687422349.png

For another example, if I have a line where the start measure is -234m and the end measure is 548m I would like to be able to use a measure interval value of 100m to generate points (with the measure value written to a field) where the -200m, -100m, 0m, 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m and 500m measures are located.

I think adding a Point_Placement option of MEASURE to the Generate Points Along Lines (Data Management) tool would address both examples above.

Of less importance would be the addition of two new parameters for the first point measure and last point measure.

An example for that might be if I have a line where the start measure is -234m and the end measure is 548m, and I would like to be able to use a measure interval value of 100m, a first point measure of -50m and a last point measure of 250m to generate points (with the measure value written to a field) where the -50m, 50m, 150m and 250m measures are located.  The reason this last one is not as important is that as long as a Point_Placement option of MEASURE has been added the Generate Points Along Lines (Data Management) tool, then that could be followed by the Select (Analysis) tool to get the same result.