Enhance ArcGIS Pro device location functionality to work with inbuilt GNSS Receivers.

10-15-2021 01:39 PM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to request the development team to enhance the application(ArcGIS Pro) on how it communicates with GNSS Devices.

As of now the application rely on COM Ports to connect with an external GPS unit.

But nowadays we have machines like the "Microsoft The Surface Pro 7+" that supports inbuilt LTE wireless connectivity features enabled by wide area, local area, and personal area networks. The radio enables various communication, entertainment, information access, content sharing, and accessory/device control.

Supports inbuilt Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receiver and satellite constellations including:

• Global Positioning System (GPS) (United States)
  • Galileo (European Union)
  • GLONASS (Russia)
  • BeiDou (China)

Now all my efforts to connect the internal GPS with ArcGIS Pro failed, and hence I request the team to consider this as the need of the hour and enhance the application.

3 Comments
ThomasHamill

Following on this suggestion, curious to know if there are solutions for live orthometric height transformation of the GNSS altitude/HAE attribute (with NGS GEOID12B, or others) during mobile data collection in field apps like Survey123, Collector, et cetera while integrated with an external receiver.

TanuHoque
Status changed to: Under Consideration

KitWilson

I purchased an expensive Surface Pro 7+ tablet so I could use ArcPro in the field and take advantage of it's greater capabilities rather than using the less capable ArcCollector. The tablet has onboard GPS capability that is functional when using collector but ArcPro will not recognize or connect to the onboard GNSS data stream. It is frustrating that ESRI's flagship software does not have the functionality of Collector or many other common apps.

ArcPro will only connect to GPS through a com port and modern computers do not have com ports. Work arounds to accommodate ArcPro's legacy software  by creating a virtual com port do not work. Yogesh has the right idea!