Enable styling & sorting the database connections listed in Catalog in Pro

08-07-2019 12:49 PM
Labels (1)
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

Regarding the database connections list in Catalog in Pro (under the Databases heading), to make it easier to navigate and ensure the user can readily access the data they need, it would be helpful to have some options whereby the user could sort the database connections by database or database type or could color-code the connection names (and everything listed under them) by the database, the database type and maybe even who the connection connects as.

In my database connections list (shown in the attachment), I have connections to development SDE database versions,  production SDE database versions and some file geodatabases. There are feature classes/tables in each and multiple feature datasets in the SDE databases. So, in particular when a database in the list is expanded, it's a bit difficult to navigate to find the data I want to access.

Perhaps there are best-practices that I'm not following in relation to how many databases to have listed. But even if that's the case, I think this would still be helpful.

3 Comments
SeanHlousek

This is a good suggestion.

I would add that additional options for identifying catalog items would be useful not just for database connections but for data types. 

For example in this case "data-source":  If I have a series of maps/layouts that access three or four different geodatabases it would be great if those geodatabases could be color-coded so i knew where each feature class originated just by looking at the color of the feature class text in catalog.  Perhaps my Roads geodatabase is Red, and My Parcels Geodatabase is Green.  Anytime I add a feature class from either those feature classes show up as the corresponding colors (in their text descriptions) in Catalog view.  That way if a user make a custom road or parcel  feature class outside of the dedicated geodatabase it's easy for an administrator to see the the source of the feature class in a map or layout is outside of that dedicated geodatabase.

Any options that can be added for increased organization would be welcome especially since we cannot see the date of the last modification of any data in catalog view. 

KoryKramer

This sounds like the same idea as https://community.esri.com/ideas/5848  It doesn't look like it really gained any traction in 7 years.  We'll leave this new ArcGIS Pro idea open for the community to vote on!

Thank you.

by Anonymous User

nice idea!