Select to view content in your preferred language

Enable setting location of temporary directory in Pro, like ARCTMPDIR in ArcMap

07-11-2022 11:17 AM
Labels (1)
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

I would like to see a setting or environment variable for Pro, like ARCTMPDIR in ArcMap, for specifying where temp files are stored.

Specifically I am running into issues running ArcGIS Pro in the AWS AppStream environment because User Profiles are exceeding the 1GB default limit enforced by AppStream. ArcGIS Pro is the culprit that is causing this problem, at it is creating temporary files within the User Profile when carrying out various geoprocessing tasks, which add up to more than 1GB, depending on the analysis.

So I am in need of a similar environment variable or in-application setting to tell ArcGIS Pro which directory to use for temp files, as was available in ArcMap.

Thanks.

6 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon, highlighting all Ideas implemented in this release, including this one. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment. 

KeithOlsen

I'm running Pro 3.1 but am not seeing the option to write temp files somewhere other than my c: drive. Can you point us to the new option that has been implemented? I searched through the what's new documentation and didn't find anything for 'temp' or 'directory'. This is a needed function since I cannot currently export large tile packages from ArcPro even if all the data lives on the network.

Thanks @AmeliaBradshaw 

--Keith

KoryKramer
KeithOlsen

Thank you @KoryKramer ! I'll give it a try.  --Keith

VictoriaMartinez

This option is not available for those who work in work environments heavily protected by security IT protocols. These protocols restrict access to  things like the advanced system settings to IT staff and in settings such as government this will take days to process. Under this context this is not an efficient of accessible work around.