Enable metadata support for the new atbx toolbox file format

11-22-2021 07:49 AM
Labels (1)
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

With the release of ArcPro 2.9 a new toolbox format appeared (atbx). It does not allow users to create metadata for a tool (e.g. model parameters) to enable documentation. It also drops any existing metadata from a legacy toolbox model tool.

Although this new format has improved performance I certainly can't use it as it is, as I need to document my tools interfaces.

So the idea is simply enable metadata creation for model tools in this new atbx toolbox. I've not tried but I assume script tools will suffer the same fate?

@DanPatterson , @DrewFlater 

Tags (3)
9 Comments
DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This is being planned for the next release of ArcGIS Pro, along with other functional gaps that still remain in the atbx format. 

DanPatterson

*.atbx  can't edit metadata.  *.tbx, I have metadata which I would like to transfer to the new format, hence the idea

NatePacheco

Has any progress been made on this issue? Hoping to share a toolbox externally and would like to be able to have parameter explanations.

DrewFlater

@NatePacheco  it is still in the product plan for ArcGIS Pro 3.0. 

KoryKramer

ArcGIS Pro 3.0 is expected to be available in June 2022.

JonathanNeal
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@DanPatterson .atbx at Pro 3.0 has metadata editable.  Also when a tool is copied from a from .atbx to .tbx (vice versa) it's metadata is also copied.

DanPatterson

Yes I know.... I am on Pro 3 beta.

JonathanNeal

Would it be correct to say that this is implemented now?  Or are you thinking of a method to transfer metadata from one tool to another?

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality has been added in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm