Enable 'Jump List' for ArcMap in Windows 7 Start Menu

10-21-2010 08:50 AM
Labels (1)
PaulTrevillion
Esri Contributor

Some programs -- such as Excel, Word and TextPad, for example -- when pinned to the Start menu or taskbar in Windows 7, display a pull-out menu listing shortcuts to recently opened documents.

Enabling Jump Lists in ArcMap for quick access to recently opened map documents (or corresponding documents for ArcGlobe and ArcScene, and perhaps quick navigation to recently visited workspaces in ArcCatalog) would help user productivity.

3 Comments
JoeMitchell
I am not certain but I think that Windows 7 Jump Lists work correctly (i.e. show a list of recently opened documents) when using ArcMap 9.3 but do not work with version 10.
ESRI_UKTechnical_Support
Jump lists do work at 10 & 10.1, but the functionality is not enabled by default (ArcGIS will write the correct information to the 1b4dd67f29cb1962.automaticDestinations-ms file located in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations folder).

To enable jump lists, try pinning ArcMap to the taskbar, pin an MXD to ArcMap (pinned on the taskbar (to enable the jump list)), and then open an MXD. The MXD should be added to the Recents list within the jump list (both in the taskbar and Start Menu). This is a workaround and not a resolution to the issue.
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Closing this for ArcMap, but the jump list is implemented in ArcGIS Pro.

KoryKramer_0-1637675830360.png