Enable ArcGIS Pro to access ESRI Personal Geodatabases

10-04-2016 01:52 PM
Labels (1)
DavidWheelock
Occasional Contributor III

Please enable ArcGIS Pro to use the ESRI Personal Geodatabase.  PGD's are compact, efficient, and an ESRI standard.  PGD's offer easy, built-in interoperability, and table data in a PGD can be easily accessed from any MS Office program or any other program able to read a MS Access database.  It does all of this in a single, compact file, without the overhead of an enterprise or workgroup geodatabase which require a database server and without the clutter of a file geodatabase.  FYI, we do have an enterprise geodatabase for when we need that.

It's deeply troubling that ESRI has chosen to deny its loyal, long-time customers the ability even to read their data in an ESRI standard format, the Personal Geodatabase.

No, a File Geodatabase is not a suitable alternative or replacement.  A FGD is a silo and cuts the data off from most other programs.  It isolates the data and can only be accessed from ESRI programs or GIS programs that have access to it and cannot be read at all by office productivity software or any other database software.  It's not useful to me.

ESRI's explanation in the ArcGIS Pro docs:

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/001001-010000/tool-errors-a...

ESRI states that "Personal geodatabases do not scale well in the 64-bit environment" and will not be supported.  It recommends a FGD. 

My response to ESRI:

Please let me and your other users be the judge of whether a personal geodatabase suits our needs.  We can decide for ourselves when we need to scale to a more robust GDB format.  Permanently terminating our ability to use the PGD is not a useful solution for me.  Again, a FGD is not a suitable replacement for the reasons cited above.

Moderator Note

See this closing comment with explanation: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/enable-arcgis-pro-to-access-esri-personal/idc-p/1179153#M19746

109 Comments
DavidWheelock

Did ESRI drop that one, too?  Wow.

Robert_LeClair

SQL Server Express geodatabases are supported in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.

TedKowal

Not for editing, It cost extra.

Robert_LeClair

For Workgroup SQL Server Express Geodatabases, correct it does require the purchase of ArcGIS Enterprise (Workgroup).  I'm researching currently an Advanced license of ArcGIS Pro (like in ArcMap), does allow for the creation of SQL Server Express geodatabases created and managed in AGP and does not require an additional expense.  More to come.

TedKowal

That is the whole point....ESRI does not manage databases well.  My databases are all managed outside independent of any application.  The data contained serves many functions; GIS being only one of many applications using the data.  MS Access albeit a poor bottom of the rung still barely adheres to the definition of a  DBMS and it provides seamless linkage between other scalable Datastores such as Oracle, SQL Server .... Postgress etc.

BrianBulla

Hi Robert,

So I've been messing with this a little bit and still don't quite get it.  I've got SQL Express installed, but can't seem to create a database unless I have an 'authorization file'....which I don't have.  So are you saying that you are working on an update to ArcPro that will allow you to create a database without an authorization file??

Robert_LeClair

Hi Brian - so with Desktop SDE geodatabases in ArcMap with an Advanced license, one could right click in the Database Servers portion of the Catalog Window and create/manage/administer a SQL Server Express geodatabase.  This did not require an *.ecp file to do so.  To create a Workgroup or Enterprise SDE geodatabase, then you do need a *.ecp file to create.  In AGP, I don't see the Database Server area in the Catalog Pane.  So an experiment to try, create the Desktop SDE geodatabase using the ArcMap Catalog window.  Then go into AGP and see if you can make a connection to the newly created geodatabase.  What is your result?

BrianBulla

OK, I understand.  But I cannot add a Database Server through ArcCatalog.  In SQL SMS I can connect to it.  Here are the details.  Do I need to specify the server name differently in ArcCatlog??

Robert_LeClair

Hi Brian - so to do this in the Catalog window in ArcMap, under Database Servers, click "Add Database Server."  When the User Interface opens, enter the hostname of your Database Server.  To find this out, click the Windows search, open a Command Prompt, and type hostname at the C: prompt in DOS.  This is the name of your database server.  Enter that name in the Database Server box in ArcMap and click OK.  Now you have a connection to your SQL Server Express instance (i.e. myserver/sqlexpress).  Right click on the new connection and select New Geodatabase.  Enter the necessary name and size.  Click OK.  Voila!  Desktop SDE geodatabase created for SQL Server Express.

BrianBulla

Yes, I've tried many different combinations but nothing works....

DWKTS159\sqlexpress

DWKTS159\MSSQLLocalDB

(LocalHost)\MSSQLLocalDB

If I go to Add Database Connection, I can connect though, but that isn't what I want as it's not a spatial database.