Element Order Window/Table of Contents

04-24-2013 10:32 AM
MatthewPeterson1
New Contributor II
It would be nice to be able to bring up a window that shows the positioning order of your map elements. 

For example, when I am creating a legend and adding an element to my map to give a legend item a background color, I sometimes have to send this element to the back of my map document ("Send to Back") and then click "Bring Forward" over and over to get the background element color in the right order.  If you have a lot going on you may be clicking dozens and dozens of time to get it in the correct position.  This not only applies to legends, it would be useful when dealing with any sort of map element.

It would be much easier if there was a window you could bring up that showed the order of all the elements, then allowed you to drag and drop selected elements to change which order they appear, just like you can with layers in the Table of Contents window.
3 Comments
NeilAyres
Dare I say it, but back in the day with workstation and aml, you could list and change the order of drawing elements in the map. Was very useful.
JurajKrumpolec
YES, something like Layout window from Production Mapping in TOC. ESRI should incorporate some parts of Production Mapping (layout window, graphic table element, etc.) or the whole extension directly to ArcGIS.  

Same idea: Provide an Element Stack Window for the Layout View and many others.
AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Implemented

This is available with the Contents Pane in ArcGIS Pro.