Select to view content in your preferred language

Easy navigation between attribute table and attribute pane

11-27-2023 06:37 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

This idea has been changed. It was originally "Attribute Table — Right-click row to open attributes pane". Now it is "Easy navigation between attribute table and attribute pane".

ArcGIS Pro 3.2; Mobile Geodatabase:

When viewing a standalone table in the attribute table:

Bud_0-1701095485885.png

It would help to be able to open the attributes pane by right-clicking a row —> Attributes.

I'm aware that we can open the attributes pane from the Map and Editing ribbons. But the user might have a different ribbon open, so it would require an extra click. Or, new users might not think to look for the Attributes button in the ribbon when exploring rows in the attribute table. A right-click option in the attribute window would be more obvious and convenient.

14 Comments
AlyciaRajendran_esri
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hi Bud!

My team likes this idea overall.

You mentioned the row context menu. Since the Attribute pane will only show you selected features/rows, would you expect us to automatically add that row to the selection (if it isn't already selected)?

Thanks!

- Alycia

RandyCasey

This makes so much sense. I would love to see more attribute table/attribute pane collaboration tools via right-click menu, mainly because the two really do go hand-in-hand when editing/viewing data. Each offers their own unique functions and properties, but when used together, you get a great data management tool. Please consider this!

AlyciaRajendran_esri

@RandyCasey, yeah the dev team for tables likes it too! Did you see my follow-up question to Bud, above? I'd love your opinion too.

RandyCasey

@AlyciaRajendran_esri the present ArcGIS Pro functionality kind of already does what you describe, if I am reading your question correctly, that is. At present, if the Attribute Pane is open, when I select a row, it appears in the Pane. If I right click a row, I have the option to "Select/Unselect", which performs the same function as holding Ctrl + Clicking a row, so I think adding an command to add the row to the Attribute Pane is a bit redundant. What I would love to see, is if Attribute Pane is not open or not visible, have the option to send the selected Attribute Table row to the Attribute Pane. Sort of the reverse of this when you right-click a feature in the Attribute Pane:

RandyCasey_0-1701107542899.png

Instead, it would maybe say, "Attribute Pane Showing Selection", and would then open or make visible the Attribute Pane with the selection. This is essentially what clicking the "Attributes" command button on the Ribbon does, but if it was in the right-click menu, this would eliminate having to hunt for the button on the Ribbon and would speed up data editing.

That's my opinion, at least.

RandyCasey

@AlyciaRajendran_esri I would also love to see an option to right-click the "Click to add new row", which would add the new row and open the Attribute Pane with the new row selected, because in my mind, the Attribute Pane is the best option for new data entry. This could also possibly be an environment default option to automatically open the Attribute Pane any time a new row is created in a table, because what I usually do is create a new row, then open the Attribute Pane to add new data, because the data entry tools are more robust in the Attribute Pane.

Bud
by

@AlyciaRajendran_esri 

Since the Attribute pane will only show you selected features/rows, would you expect us to automatically add that row to the selection (if it isn't already selected)?

That's a good question. I'm leaning towards "yes". But I would be interested in hearing what other users and Esri staff think about it.

MErikReedAugusta

Personally, I vote for Randy's suggestion of mimicking the "Attribute Table showing selection" option, so I have the option in cases where I maybe don't want to lose my selection.

I also like the idea of this being triggerable from the "Add New Row" prompt, as well as an existing Row.

AlyciaRajendran_esri

It sounds like we have a few ideas and expectations here:

@Bud prefers a row header option that adds the row to the selection (we would never lose the selection if it already existed) that would open the Attribute pane

@RandyCasey I understand your thought process here. If it's just opening the Attributes pane from the table (because the Attribute pane always shows a selection if it exists), we could have an "Attributes" button in the Selection group of the table toolbar, instead of a row header context menu option. It's much more visible there (and less clicks)

@MErikReedAugusta if I understand you correctly, would you also like to open the Attribute pane/bring it to the front when adding a new row or...when you start editing an existing row? Because the pane works on a selection, I see having an option to bring the pane into focus when adding a new row makes sense, because that new row is usually selected. But, an existing row is not necessarily selected when you start editing there. Prompting the pane to come into focus may not be as useful. Either way, maybe an option to include this, instead of it being default.

Please let me know your thoughts everyone!

RandyCasey

@AlyciaRajendran_esri I like the concept of a button. As a visual learner, I see the appeal of buttons to grab the attention of users. I also like the right-click menu option of the same command. I have been a right-click user for decades, in multiple application platforms, and find that if my most used commands are in the right-click menu, I primarily use them there. Can both options be available to users?

Regarding my suggestion of opening or brining the Attributes Pane into focus when you start a new row: My preference is targeting new rows added. I would also love to see the Attributes Pane have an option to add new rows directly from the Pane. I realize this would probably only work if an existing record were already selected (so the Pane knows which table to target). With this in mind, when a record is present in the Attribute Pane, a button could be made available on the bottom to "Add New Row" (near the "Auto Apply" switch, maybe?). This button could also have a tab index that would automatically highlight the button after the last field is tabbed out of, so the user could just hit Enter to start a new row. This is a pretty standard data entry UI/UX, to make data entry easier and more efficient (hands never having to leave the keyboard). Again, I would love to see this as a user environment option, where the user could make opening the Attributes Panel when a new row is added the default option.

JMutunga

@RandyCasey 

because what I usually do is create a new row, then open the Attribute Pane to add new data, because the data entry tools are more robust in the Attribute Pane.

I just wanted to highlight that when working with Standalone tables, the Insert Row command within the Atribute pane enables you to add a new row which is then added to your existing selection.

To access the command, right click the Standalone table node in the pane, choose Insert Row and then follow instructions to add single or multiple rows.

JosphatMutunga_0-1701204048220.png