Drag and drop a layout to a new aprx

04-21-2023 12:16 AM
Labels (1)
IlkaIllers1
Occasional Contributor III

I often copy old layouts from former projects to build on in order to save time creating the layout. At the moment, I have to insert a new dummy layout so that the "Layouts" folder appears in the Catalog, copy the layout I want, paste it under "Layouts", and then delete the dummy layout. It would be much neater to be able to just drag and drop a layout, similarly to when importing an mxd. 

5 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@IlkaIllers1 what version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

I just tested this in 3.1.1 and it works. I understand what you are describing as that is something that we improved in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/pro-drag-map-from-one-project-to-another/idi-p/937509

Please let us know what version you are using, and if past 2.9, there may be an issue to investigate with technical support. Thank you

IlkaIllers1

@KoryKramer thanks for your answer. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3. 

I tried to replicate the problem using several different Layouts in different aprxs. I am unable to drag and drop any layout to any aprx. Very curious. Is this a bug, then?

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Hi @IlkaIllers1 

We just tested in 3.0.3 to confirm this wasn't a regression bug, and we see the behavior working as expected; i.e. it is possible to drag a layout (or map) from one project into another and it will create the missing container if it isn't already present in the second project. 

Example:

DragDropLayout.gif

(the example is from a development build of 3.2 so you get a "Copy to Layouts" tip. That tip will not be present in 3.0.x or 3.1.x, but again, we have tested the functionality and the drag/drop is working in 3.0.x and 3.1.x).

Are you doing a drag/drop as I'm demonstrating above, or something different?

IlkaIllers1

This is very curious indeed, I am not able to do that. Any ideas what the issues might be here?

KoryKramer

Sorry, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working in your scenario. Since this will require further investigation, a call to Technical Support would be needed. If there is a reproducible case that can be shared, then that could be submitted as a bug for us to investigate. Thank you.