Display Definition Queries in List When Right Clicking on Layer in Pro

05-31-2018 12:36 PM
Labels (1)
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Esri, 

It would be an awesome improvement to ArcGIS Pro if there could be a Definitions Query shortcut in the list when you right click on a layer in the TOC. This would be an awesome improvement to lessen then amount of clicks and shave some time off  a user's workflow. 

Currently you have to right click> properties> navigate to Definitions Query 

Thanks so much!

6 Comments
SeanHlousek

Excellent suggestion.

This would replicate behavior in ArcMap.

KoryKramer

It isn't in the right-click menu for a layer, but it is possible to add Build Definition Query to the Quick Access Toolbar (or to the ribbon).  When I click this, it automatically opens the Definition Query dialog for the highlighted layer:

Amanda__Huber

Hi Kory,

That's a great alternative! I've dabbled with moving around tools in the banners before, but it seems those settings only stay for that specific project. If you're working across multiple projects, you would have to set these each up that way (which isn't the worst, just one more step). I will use this workaround for now since we use definition queries quite a bit here at the Park District. But it would be really nice if there a was an out of the box option for this. 

Thanks so much!

- Amanda

KoryKramer

Amanda, commands added to the Quick Access Toolbar should persist across projects.  So if I add the Build Definition Query to my QAT, when I open a new project or even another existing project, that command is still on the QAT.

If you're seeing different behavior, it would be good to log a case with technical support because this should work, meaning that when set up once, you should have quick access to the Build Definition Query command in all projects without setting it up again.

Cheers

Amanda__Huber

Hi Kory, 

Good to know that the quick access toolbar is different than the ribbon tabs. I was unable to find any documentation when searching for how to set up this Quick Access Toolbar. Is there any chance you could pass on the setup information to me?

Thanks, 

Amanda

KoryKramer

Amanda, 

Normally, you would just right-click a command > Add to Quick Access Toolbar.  

You cannot currently do this in 2.1.x for the Build Definition Query.  The ability to customize the QAT through the backstage options becomes available at 2.2 which should be out pretty soon.  So hold tight and then you'll have an interface to do this in 2.2.

Cheers