Select to view content in your preferred language

Different transparency for polygon border and fill symbology in ArcPro

07-19-2023 05:03 PM
Labels (1)
PeteVitt
Occasional Contributor III

I often want the fill of a polygon layer to have transparency so features below the layer can be viewed, but would like the border of the polygon layer to be darker or opaque so you can clearly see the outlines of the layer.  As a work-around I'll make two copies of the layer, one with transparency for the fill, and one opaque with just the border, but it would be nice to not have to go to that extra step.  The legend would also be more accurate to the map if there was only one layer.

Thanks

Pete

7 Comments
AllenDailey1

Great idea!

jcarlson

This is already possible. In the symbology, go into the symbol settings and you can set the transparency for the fill vs border in each's respective color setting.

ThomasHoman

Hi,

Have you looked at the layer/feature blending or have you overlooked it like I did for a few years? I might help to achieve your goal. Below is a quick map with our parcels and zoning.

But I do like your idea of separate transparency controls. Too often transparent borders become almost useless.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/apply-visual-effects.htm 

ThomasHoman_0-1689814888240.png

EdiePunt

Hello Pete, 

In ArcGIS Pro, a polygon symbol with an outline is made up of a fill symbol layer and a stroke symbol layer, each with a unique color. Each color can have transparency, so the easy way to do this is to set a transparency on the color used for the fill symbol layer.

EdiePunt_0-1689821435988.png

Edie

EdiePunt
Status changed to: Already Offered

PeteVitt

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to know transparency can be set on each individual color.  The Layer Blend is also really cool -- you can achieve the same sort of thing in just one click

Pete

GIS-Chops

I created a video showing how to do this - https://youtu.be/d0NbcKOjcUk