Select to view content in your preferred language

Define subtype field with new field type big integer

01-08-2024 12:53 AM
Labels (1)
ChristophKoschmieder
New Contributor III

Please allow fields of the new field type big integer to be used as subtype fields. This would be very helpful and necessary to support large subtype codes.

ChristophKoschmieder_0-1704703722836.png

Tags (2)
5 Comments
MErikReedAugusta

Out of curiosity: What's your use case for having that many subtype codes?

(Unrelated to this, the whole number-based subtype code thing has often irked me; in most of the datasets I work with, the space-savings aren't really outweighed against the utility of exports being "safe" regardless of whether someone exports codes or aliases.  I'd love the ability to choose which poison I prefer, but that's another topic, entirely.)

ChristophKoschmieder

We would like to use the sub type codes with "meaning":

A code with a fixed length consisting of parts with a specific meaning. E.g. you may think of an organisational hierarchy...

<Country 1 digit><State 2 digits><City 5 digits><Parcel 4 digits><Owner 2 digits>

SSWoodward

Thanks for that example @ChristophKoschmieder 

Could you help us understand a little more about what types of subtypes your organization is building?

Subtypes are used to group many like things so that default values, domains, and behaviors can be applied consistently across groups of like features. In this scenario, would you have multiple features that have the same parcel and owner numbers?

SSWoodward

Without further clarification for the use case of Big Integer subtypes, this Idea will be closed.  The subtype concept is not currently built to support 1 billion+ unique subtypes. If you are in need of descriptive names, the subtype description is capable of displaying the desired numeric code. 

Please feel free to share any other use cases that would require Big Integer type fields to be enabled as a subtype field.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed