Data source details stay showing in Layer Properties window when changing the data source

10-19-2021 03:29 PM
Labels (1)
MicheleH1_DNReply
Occasional Contributor

I've just upgraded to 2.8.3.  I'm sure this didn't happen in previous versions.... I don't think....

Could the details of the data source stay in the Layer Properties window after you have clicked to change the data source.  Sometimes I need to be reminded of the feature class name and at the moment all the details seem to disappear.

The current data source is a sql server enterprise geodatabase. And I'm trying to change to a different enterprise geodatabase.  Not sure if it is different for other data sources.

Screenshot 2021-10-20 112618.jpg

8 Comments
TanuHoque
Status changed to: Under Consideration

KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KenBuja

When the data source is changed using the "Set Data Source..."  button in the Layer Properties dialog, all of the information in the Source properties window is lost, replaced by "Loading..."

set1.png

set2.png

It is important to keep the source name visible when selecting a new data source to ensure that the correct dataset is chosen, the way this worked in ArcMap.

set3.png

ZihanSong

Hello! This enhancement was implemented and will be included in ArcGIS Pro 3.0.

AmeliaBradshaw

Thank you for confirming this @ZihanSong ! 

@KenBuja , there was an existing Idea for this, Data source details stay showing in Layer Properties window when changing the data source . I will merge this Idea with the existing one, which is In Product Plan and as confirmed by Zihan, will be included in Pro 3.0. 

Thank you! 

MiguelMartinezYordan

When changing data source in the Layer Properties by clicking the Set Data Source button, it opens an additional windows to browse for the new source, but the original source windows goes blank and a "Loading..." message appears. This makes it very difficult to remember the original data source. This doesn't happens in ArcMap.

PROBERT68

Has anyone notice something strange on Data Source in the background ? What I am saying that in ArcGIS Desktop is that we can see to know where the Data Source came from.... but in Pro no !

Here is the screenshot ..

So when your layer is moved or have a red Exclamation Point .... and you need to know where to find...

PROBERT68_0-1654615647635.png

and then you press the Set Data Source button at the upper right corner. And it opens another dialog box 

PROBERT68_1-1654615647909.png

Can you see my the Question Mark drew a red circle  showing nothing and it is difficult to track where you left over and know where to find ...  Kind of strange to see that....   Is that suppose to be that way ?

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality has been added in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm