Data Driven Pages Scale Bar

01-17-2012 09:20 PM
Labels (1)
LaurenFagg
Occasional Contributor

Having finally changed all of our old MapBook projects to data driven pages, we have come across a problem when using the scale field to change the scale of a given page. The scale bar, which at 1:10,000 has divisions of 500m, suddenly looks ridiculous on the handful of pages that are 1:25,000. It was very disappointing to not be able to just go "File --> Export" for the whole set of maps. We still have to manually adjust the map elements for some pages.

We can't be having divisions of "623m" or having the number text all on top of each other  - This is what happens if you set it to "Adjust division value" or "Adjust number of divisions" now.

We need some sort of Data-Driven Element choice so that we can set Scale Bar (A) for scales of 1:10,000 and Scale Bar (B) for 1:25,000 etc.

6 Comments
George_ChandeepCorea
AGREED! This is a massive issue as it means that we have to create multiple mxd's that have the ddp where all the extents are the same and then when changes are made to base data they have to be repeated in each mxd.
RayChilcote
Ran into the same thing making a cover page for my maps.  Change the scalebar.  Make the page.  zoom to my normal pages.  Change the scale bar.  Then print pages 2 through X.  It is frustrating.

Multiple page layouts (long promised, still waiting) could help solve this.

Issue has to do with the map scale being stored/calculated each map refresh.  You can actually zoom out or in, use the back button, and your scale has changed (and many times, your scalebar).
AndrewHansford
The best idea would be to have the Scale Bar option when creating the Mapbook and you could set options like you would when adding a scale bar, with addition that when it reaches a certain scale that it switches to a new scale bar.
TimLangner
This would be very useful. However I can't see it happening any time soon, given the low number of +10 ratings. Only 48 people think it's worth rating as a good idea to impliment.
AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: In Product Plan