Data-Driven Pages - Detailed Area Insets

10-27-2010 04:35 PM
Labels (1)
AndyAston
New Contributor III

Based on the DS Mapbook - Detailed Area Insets toolbar (developed out of the Denver regional office) for ArcGIS 8.X, this data-driven pages version will auto-build insets in the layout at a more zoomed-in scale from the main data frame.  Insets are auto-generated by referencing an index feature class at a specified, more detailed scale.  This is perfect for utility system mapbooks that need to show connections, etc.  This is fitting...until engineers and public works crews move fully to digital, dynamic maps.

6 Comments
RyanCosby
 Awesome
BillMeehan
Good idea
MaryAnnNicaise
I used the Detail Area Inset tool to create my locator maps.  I hope ESRI  can re-create this tool for the new version for Data Driven pages.  I am having to use separate mxd's for each map now.
ChrisFox
I am not completely familar with the functionality of the Detailed Area Insets toolbar, but it is possible with data driven pages to have the extent of one data frame be controlled by the data frame enabled for data driven pages. You can then control the approximate ratio of scale of one data frame to another. To set this open the properties for the data frame you wish to use as the inset and go to the Data Frame tab. Under Extent from the dropdown select "Other Data Frame" and choose the data frame you wish to get the extent from (In this case the data frame used for DDP). You can play with the margin % to adjust the relative scale of the inset data frame.
MarkBoucher
I like
AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

ArcGIS Desktop is in mature support and will be retired March 1, 2026 so we won’t be considering this idea. We recommend that you migrate to ArcGIS Pro, our fully supported desktop GIS application. See Migrate from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro for more information. Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas. We truly appreciate your contributions to continuously improving the software to help you do your work and look forward to what ideas you have for ArcGIS Pro.