Dark Mode for ArcCatalog

03-11-2021 12:53 PM
Labels (1)
WahkiakumGIS
New Contributor III

I don't know if this is the best place to post this idea, so feel free to move it somewhere else.

I am working in ArcCatalog to clean up old geodatabase files and remove obsolete data.

I would really like to have a dark mode, or dark view available in ArcCatalog. The bright white background is hard on my eyes.

I am currently using ArcCatalog 10.6.1

5 Comments
tigerwoulds

I dont think esri is making changes to the UI/UX of ArcGIS Desktop products anymore. Their focus is on ArcGIS Pro where you can use Dark Mode. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Already Offered

Hi @WahkiakumGIS Thank you for submitting this idea.  Unfortunately, as TigerWoulds pointed out, development of new features and functionality is now focused on ArcGIS Pro.  The good news is that when you are ready to move to Pro, dark mode is already there.

KoryKramer_0-1615502276573.png

WahkiakumGIS

I contacted tech support and they suggested I do this as a work around and it is working great because it makes my whole computer in dark mode, so I think we should delete this product request.

Right-click on your desktop > Personalize > Under, ‘Related Settings’ on to the right of the settings, click on “High Contrast settings” > Turn the toggle on. The shortcut for this setting is “left ALT + left SHIFT + Print Screen”.

Also, I am using Arcgis Pro for my work and not ArcMap but have been using Arc Catalog to rearrange my files and delete duplicates, because I inherited a bunch of old data with duplicates.

Should I be doing this work somewhere else other than Arc Catalog that is separate from Pro? 

I opened the ArcCatalog pane in Pro but couldn't figure out how to access all of my geodatabases there. Thanks for your help.

KoryKramer

Thank you for the detailed response, Lorraine!

We can leave this idea as is since we marked it as Already Offered.  You can use the Catalog view (not pane) in ArcGIS Pro to carry out data management workflows like you would in ArcCatalog.  Just like ArcCatalog, however, you will still need to make connections to folders that you want to work with.

Here are some related topics that I hope will help you move from ArcCatalog into Pro's Catalog view.

For ArcMap users—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Use the catalog pane, catalog view, and browse dialog box—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

And a tutorial Manage data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

I hope these help!

WahkiakumGIS

Thank you very much, I will use the links you sent me. Have a good day!