Select to view content in your preferred language

Create new group layer in Standalone Tables section in Contents pane

3 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.3.0

I want to create an empty group layer for standalone tables. When I right-click the Standalone Tables section, the New Group Layer option is greyed out. 

Whereas with spatial layers, when I right-click the Map section in the Contents, I'm able to create a new spatial group layer from scratch. But that group layer can't be used for standalone tables.

I'm aware that a workaround is to select existing standalone tables and right-click them to create a group layer. However, I think I should be able to create an empty standalone table group layer from scratch, similar to what I can do for spatial layers.

Video:

Related: Dragging Catalog item to Contents pane doesn't always work

1 Comment
Bud
by

Esri Case #03634931 - Can't create new group layer in Standalone Tables section in Contents pane

I was able to reproduce the behavior on my end by following the steps shown in the attached video. Upon further research regarding group layers, it appears that this behavior is by design and is documented here: Work with group layers

There are two ways to create group layers in the Contents pane:

• Right-click the name of the map or scene in the Contents pane and click New Group Layer.
  • Alternatively, you can right-click a selection of one or more items and choose Group Group to make the selection into a new group layer.

Therefore, we will not proceed to log a bug for this behavior.