Select to view content in your preferred language

Create map package with one file geodatabase

03-24-2023 08:40 AM
Labels (1)
mj_gis
by
New Contributor III

I think it would be nice to be able to create map packages where all data is bundled into ONE geodatabase. Currently, if my map data is spread across multiple geodatabases, then the extracted map package also contains multiple geodatabases. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a check box in the tool) that bundled all the map data into one geodatabase.

My reasoning for this is it would be a good way to create a 'final' version of any map. Right now, if I want everything from my map bundled into a single file geodatabase, I need to manually move the data into that one file geodatabase. Then I need to redo my data sources, in the map, to point at the one final geodatabase. Potentially, a map package option that bundled data into one file geodatabase could save the user time. 

7 Comments
MartinPrinz

When consolidating (packaging) maps (layers) the amount of created file gdbs equals the amount of different sources.
In order to minimize data fragmentation it would be helpful to get the opportunity to store the data in one single file gdb.
0EME0000000TU17

DrewFlater
Status changed to: Under Consideration

mj_gis
by

Nice - I've never used the 'consolidate map' tool. I still think it would be nice for the tool to be included into the 'package map' or 'package project' tool but in the meantime, I will use 'consolidate map' before I run 'package map.' Thanks for the help

DrewFlater

@mj_gis that comment and picture from @MartinPrinz  is a mockup and suggestion that the tool Consolidate Map should have the same option you suggested. This tool still keeps the original databases if the map has data from multiple databases, all the datasets are not consolidated into one database. This is the enhancement that is under consideration. The Consolidation tools are definitely where this option to move all datasets into one shared database makes the most sense to the dev team. 

mj_gis
by

@DrewFlater 

gotcha - thanks for the explanation. It would be nice to have the option in one of the prebuilt tools for sure! Thanks for considering it

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

New options are being added to the Package Map and Consolidate Map geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS Pro 3.4. 

mj_gis
by

Thanks for the update @DrewFlater! It's very exciting to have this in the Product Plan 🙂