Select to view content in your preferred language

Create chart with multiple series using multiple feature classes

06-12-2024 01:03 PM
Labels (1)
AmyDunn
New Contributor III

In ArcMap you could create a chart with multiple series using data from different feature classes. In ArcPro it appears the only way to do that is to have everything in the same feature class and use the Split By option to choose a field to separate your data. I think both features would be useful.

3 Comments
ChristopherAllen
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hi @AmyDunn ,

Thanks for the Idea! While we don't have immediate plans to support the creation of charts using multiple data sources, we are taking this Idea under consideration and will continue to monitor this thread.

Thanks,

Chris

PhilMiller

I know we have a User who would appreciate this functionality. Currently, the method of operations would require them to break their data table into individual tables instead of using different fields in the data tables to create graphs that can be displayed together.

DougBrowning

Huge upvote for this.  I think the use cases to compare layers are way more common.  I am not sure why I would want to chart just one layer really.

Here is a bigger writeup I am sending to @ChristopherAllen 

We have field collected data that we create summary indicators for.  We chart these to see how plants change over time.
Like this
DougBrowning_0-1722459129647.png

Our data only goes back to 2014 and we have areas that do not have many points yet.  So to supplement we also use remote sensing data that is created from imagery.
DougBrowning_1-1722459129651.png

Our users would like to see this on one chart.  They need to see if both sources are aligning or wildly different (which could be a data entry error).  It can be hard to compare these when they are two totally different graphics.  

In the future expanding this would be sweet.  One other example is say the chart shows a big drop off in plants.  If we can also chart precipitation on that same chart we could see immediately if it was caused by drought vs some other factor.  Having one chart per layer makes this impossible.  We are looking for causality so we really need to see it all on one chart.  Just seems like there are so many more use cases to have "Map wide charts" vs just a single layer.  Honestly I cannot really see the use case for a single layer chart.  It tells you it changed but not why!   That makes sense right?  

The way it is now we have to skip Pro and build our own charts in script.  It is the biggest reason we never really use charts in Pro. 

thanks a lot for considering this.  I think it would be a home run!

PS I also really like the way the Multidimensional toolbar temporal charts work.  The interface is much easier to follow than the regular chart one.  The interface really confuses me.