Copy/paste layer properties — Choose individual properties

12-17-2023 09:39 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

The Copy and paste properties between layers or tables docs say:

You cannot choose individual properties to copy.

It would be useful to have control over what properties from the source table get applied. I’m picturing a list of properties with checkboxes.

Original Idea: Contents — Apply all properties from one layer to a different layer

4 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Under Consideration

MErikReedAugusta

Currently, if I pull up the Symbology pane and import symbology from another layer, it fires up the "Apply Symbology From Layer" GP Tool.

This tool copies over both symbology settings and label settings.  It might also be copying other things, but those are the two I've noticed, so far.

Sometimes, this is supremely helpful, because I wanted both, anyway.  But other times, I want to import the  settings from the symbology pane, but I don't want it overwriting my label settings.

Solution 1:

Add an input that allows me to specify which aspects of "Symbology Layer" are going to be copied over to "Input Layer"

Solution 2:

Split the existing tool into a separate tool for each aspect it can copy (Symbology definitions, label definitions, etc.)  I'd recommend this is divided by which pane you'd go to to set that aspect manually.

Personally, my preference would be Option 1, but I could live with either.

JakeJacobsAVA

Totally agree. I can't find any documentation about what actually gets applied as part of this gp tool. There's no indication that labelling will be updated, but it is. It would be nice to pick exactly what you want to be applied. And at a bare minimum to have documentation on what is copied.

JonathanNeal

FYI @ZihanSong can you see if this is already in the design for Apply Layer Properties?  Maybe this idea can be linked?