Go To XY Lat-Lon Pair Input Box

04-18-2012 09:33 AM
Labels (1)
CameronLarson
New Contributor II

The Go To XY tool should have a single input box where you can paste lat/lon pairs like you might copy from two adjacent cells in a spreadsheet. Add a toggle that allows you to switch between lat/lon and lon/lat.

13 Comments
AndyMurray1
Excellent ideas.   Surely this could be implemented with the existing 2 input boxes: just have the tool recognize a TAB character as a separator between the X and Y coords.  You paste the pair into the first box and it moves the 2nd coord to the 2nd box.   This would allow one to copy/paste two adjacent cells from a spreadsheet (the tab is automatically inserted between cell values).  Also I can quickly insert a tab character between columns of coords in a text editor.

Taking it further, I would like to see a couple of  additional features added to this tool: 
1. Click on the map and get the XY coords of the location (loaded into the input boxes).  Then be able to flash, add point, etc as normal.)
2. Ability to copy the coord pair with one click.  Currently you must do this one coord at a time, and you have to select (highlight) the coord before you can copy it.  
3. Abiility to copy the contents of the "Recent" list to clipboard.

I know this tool is called Go To XY, and I know the GetXY  function is already part of the Identify tool, but in my workflows these functions go togeher.   Put them together and rename the tool.

AndyMurray1

Four years on, and I still feel this tool could be so much better.    

PeteJordan

I am suggesting the Goto XY (esri_mapping_gotoXYControl) to allow a single entry of both the Lat/Long rather than forced to using it as it currently is as two separate boxes.  

I find it frustrating when using the Copy Location (esri_mapping_copyCoordinates) from one map and want to find that location on another, I have to paste the full Lat/Long in the Long box, then cut out the Lat and re-paste that in the Lat box.

It would be easier to have the option to paste the entire coordintate into the a Lat/Long box option (similar as to how Google allows pasting of both and it will jump to the location) as well as have it separated as it currently has to deal with both types of coordinates to paste in.

It would also be helpful to allow the Long box and Lat box to also be expanded to paste in longer coordinates as well.

wayfaringrob

Yes, Google Maps is a good benchmark for how coordinate searches should be treated. It's always so nice; no matter if you've got decimal degrees or DMS, cardinal directions or +/-, etc - it handles it and it works.

alex_friant

Great idea. Seems like an easy change to add the option be it an extra single entry field or even a toggle option.

While I think it would be cool to have the default interpreter to be "smart" - aka: it attempts to parse the coords using some intelligent analysis, like Google does, I think it would be a bonus to have a "custom configuration" option that allows you to explicitly tell it how to interpret the coords you are entering in case the smart entry doesn't work.

wayfaringrob

It's very easy to copy coordinates (R click map --> Copy Coordinates).

If I want to quickly go to these coordinates in another project I have open, I can't really. Go To XY wants lat & long in separate boxes -- another couple steps. It would be great to have either the option for single field entry in Go To XY or a quick paste/go to copied coordinates option on the R click menu.

If Google Maps can support this, can't Esri?

JosphatMutunga
Status changed to: Open

silverberrysea

Does the locate pane work for you? It's never had any problems accepting XY coordinates for me.

I agree it'd be nice if GoToXY would let you paste it all in one go too, though, and right click > go to coordinates would be stellar.

locate.png

wayfaringrob

@silverberrysea  interesting ... can't say I use that pane very often, and agree that it would be clunkier than my proposed solution, but I'll give it a go in the interim.

PeteJordan

@silverberrysea I have actually been using the Locate now for quite some time as I find it doing exactly what I need and much easier to use.  I've actually unbound my GoTo XY and just use Locate now...