Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy and Paste domain values (code, description) from Domains View to Excel

08-31-2022 07:38 AM
Labels (1)
LukeSavage
Occasional Contributor II

Copy from Domain Values (code, description) and paste into excel or google sheets.  Because you don't have Xray for ArcGIS Pro, this is necessary for documenting data models.

LukeSavage_0-1661956673462.png

10 Comments
jcarlson

Exporting the workspace XML should give you everything you need. There are lots of third-party tools that can ingest such an XML to work with it in a more friendly setting if you don't have a handy way of parsing it yourself.

Is a spreadsheet a good place to document your data model? I like a nice ERD myself.

Bud
by

For what it's worth, copy/pasting works well in ArcMap. I use that functionality often; it's very efficient.

1. Click the rectangle in the top-left corner of the Coded Values section:

Bud_2-1661961625772.png

2. CTRL+C

3. Paste in Excel:

Bud_3-1661961739409.png

I don't know why that functionality doesn't work in my version of Pro: 2.6.8. 

It looks like it ought to work:

Bud_0-1661962073658.png

But when I try to paste the data in Excel, nothing happens; no data is pasted.

Bud_1-1661962152592.png

LukeSavage

@Bud ArcMap has xray and copy paste functionality which is easy but this is not the future of esri solutions as ArcMap is being deprecated.  This idea focuses on ArcGIS Pro 3.x and higher only.

LukeSavage

@jcarlson I'll take a look at erd in Lucidchart and others.  Documenting asset group and asset type relationships are helpful for integration in Asset Managment deployments so its easy for operational crews to view and modify/add in a less complex way.  I'm trying to make things less complicated and easy for multiple audiences.  Thank you for the input on this as it is beneficial but based on this enhancement request, copy and paste functionality are basic Windows OS functions and should be considered for ArcGIS Pro 3.x and higher.  Xray is already considered as an enhancement but this was to add an idea for basic Windows functionality of copy and paste.

JonathanMurphy
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Jackson_R

Has this copy paste function been added to ArcPro 3.0 and up? We are currently running 2.9.5 and this is still an issue. What current workarounds are there for this? ArcMap and ArcCatalog are no longer viable options as workarounds.

Bud
by

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8:

I'm viewing a specific domain in the Domains View. I want to copy a few problem values/rows to the clipboard, but it doesn't seem to be possible to select multiple rows or copy them.

Ideally, I'd be able to select rows using the normal techniques:

• Shift+Click
  • Ctrl+Click
  • Click+Drag - Click and drag on the row headers, similar to what we can do in the attribute table.

And then copy the data to Excel.

Video:

Related:

I know I can use the Domain to Table geoprocessing tool or a Schema Report as a workaround. But it would be better to copy values directly from the Domains View.

Bud
by

It looks like the selection issue has been solved in newer versions of Pro (tested in 3.2.1). But copying the domain values still isn't possible.

I remember seeing an idea for copying all domain values to the clipboard; selecting all by clicking the top left corner of the grid and hitting CTRL+C (which worked in ArcMap). However, I can't find that idea right now. I suppose this idea could be merged with that idea.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.3. See Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.3 for a full list of all user ideas you can look forward to! And be sure to check out the release blog and what’s new help topic and video to learn more about all the new features and functionality in the release.