Convert labels to annotation default extent - make the software consistent

10-20-2022 01:20 PM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm copying and pasting from one of my previous posts - so I can get this as an Idea. Make Default Extent Default.

Hello all,

I am converting labels to annotation in ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2. In the help https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/text/converting-labels-to-annotation.htm it says below:

"Decide which extent contains all the labels you want to convert. Specify this on the Convert Labels To Annotation tool.

• Default—The full extent of the map or the custom full extent, if set.
  • Union of Inputs—The extent is based on the maximum extent of all input layers.
  • Intersection of Inputs—The minimum area common to all input layers.
  • As Specified Below—Specify the minimum and maximum extent values.
  • Current Display Extent—The extent is equal to the map or visible display.
  • Same as Layer—The extent for a layer or dataset on disk is used. "

So when I use this tool my default extent is "Current Display Extent". Shouldn't my Default extent be "Default"? I don't understand the use of the word default if it's not default. 

This tripped me up multiple times in a row as I wondered where all of my annotation went and why the tool didn't create all of my annotation.

In 2.9.3, if I r click on the layer and Convert labels to annotation, it comes up with "As Specified Below" which is the same as the current display extent.

If I run the GP tool, it is always "Default" for the default extent.

So, it appears as if you interact with the TOC, it seems to be assuming that you want to convert the labels you are viewing, but the tool assumes you want it all.

if you use the command search bar to find the Convert Labels to Annotation tool the extent will say "As Specified Below". But if you hit the back arrow to go back to the main Geoprocessing Pane then double click on the Convert Labels to Annotation tool again this time the Extent will say "Default". 

(orig question post: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/convert-labels-to-annotation-default-extent/m-p/1...

Tags (1)