Concave Hull and/or Alpha Shapes geoprocessing tool

08-26-2010 03:44 PM
Labels (1)
NathanWarmerdam
New Contributor III

While I know that there are places to find concave hull and/or alpha shape algorithms, it seems like the biggest/best/most pervasive GIS company in the world would have this tool or a set of tools to do this kind of operation.  My suggestion is to add a concave hull tool as well as an alpha shapes tool for creating a bounding polygon around a set of features.

6 Comments
Bruce_RHarold
Hi

If you have ArcInfo, try the Aggregate Points/Polygons tools in the cartography>generalization toolset.

Also, please keep a watch on the geoprocessing gallery in September :)

Regards
NathanWarmerdam
 Hey Bruce,
Thanks for the tip, that looks useful but I think you need to spruce up the doc a little bit.  What methodology is used?  The second usage tip implies that there are some limitations.  A bit more discussion would be helpful.
So what should I expect in the geoprocessing gallery?  Cool script tool that works at 9.3??  :)
Nathan
Bruce_RHarold
Hi Nathan

Thanks for the feedback on the GP tools.

The item we hope to put on the GP gallery is an arcpy script tool, easily backported to use arcgisscripting.  We're just going through the permissions process.

Regards
DanPatterson_Retired

so long.... so little movement....

at least an interim solution until basic algorithms are implemented... I know... low market share.

Concave Hulls ... for arcgis Pro 

PhilLarkin1

Still dreaming of an out-of-the box tool from ESRI.

feralcatcolonist

I think it'd be great to see this tool get added.