Change location of Pro 3.2.x Project Index folder to \Index, like in previous versions of Pro

01-29-2024 09:27 AM
Labels (1)
KarenAnderson
New Contributor II

For years I've had a working directory containing many Pro projects with the home folder being set to the working subdirectory for each project.  In the past there was ONE and only one \Index folder that Pro used for all the projects in my working directory and each Pro project had a subdirectory within \Index.  Since upgrading to ver 3.2.0, Pro has begun making a new index folder for EVERY project (\<projectName>_index) at the root of the working directory, which quickly makes the working folder incredibly cluttered.  I've looked around in Options for a way to tell Pro where to put the index folders without having any luck.  An online search produces the info below, which implies that for some reason this is intentional:

(from How projects are indexed—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation)

The project index for each project is stored in the project's home folder in a folder named <project name>_index. This folder may contain three subfolders:

• Connections—This folder is empty.
  • <Project name>—Contains the project index files.
  • Thumbnail—Contains thumbnail images of maps indexed by the project index.

I would like to see the individual project index folders be, once again, stored in the <home_folder>\Index subdirectory.

7 Comments
BSBlagojevic

Agree! I don't find any improvement with this kind of 're-organization' (?) except complicating the maintenance of folders for the user. It would be really useful to revert.

DawnLasprugato1

More than one index file is cluttering the project directory.  Esri, please fix this.  Thanks.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

ChristiHallman

100% agree! Please fix this. 

ChristiHallman

The amount of annoying this is is insane. I haven't updated one of my machines to the latest, but could you imagine how annoying it would be if all of these had an Index folder??IndexFolder_Example.JPG

NaicongLi
Status changed to: In Product Plan

dhood_nifc

Looks like this is in the plan to be changed, but I just want to add that this change is annoying and just makes my folders more cluttered.  I support wildland fires and we have a folder setup that normally wouldn't have been too bad with a single index folder.  Below is an example of one incident I supported last year as an example of why I want this changed back.

dhood_nifc_1-1714189805373.png