Change Icon for Python scripts in Toolbox

07-29-2020 10:33 PM
Labels (1)
TimJohnston3
New Contributor III

Instead of a piece of paper, what about using a different color icon for python scripts.  I propose an ESRI blue hammer.

Image of Proposed Icon Change

9 Comments
diggeo2020

I would go one step further. currently we are able to set thumbnails for python based toolboxes. these "thumbnails" should be shown as the icon in the toolbox. a workflow should have its custom icon, , otheriwse showing always hammers or "scripts"will not add any value to the users.

DanGreene

The above is a great idea.  The tools in a created custom toolbox always have the "piece of paper" script looking icon.  It would be great if when selecting properties, I could add my own custom icon for each tool in my own toolbox.  This would go a long way to alleviating the pain of no longer being able to create an ADD-IN with python.

Current Add In

DanGreene_0-1706761669785.png

Toolbox in PRO - love to replace the script icons with the above ADD-IN icons

DanGreene_1-1706761833803.png

Dan

SeaRM
by

In ArcGIS Pro 3.2 there is an opportunity to add your own icon to tools, scripts, and models in My toolboxes.

SeaRM_0-1706783702504.png

DanGreene

SeaRM,

Thanks for the example.  I gave this a try:

DanGreene_0-1706846087788.png

Yet it still shows the script icon so the icon may be too large or the wrong format.  I assume there are some specifications for the format when creating your own script icon.

DanGreene_2-1706846213375.png

I was hoping I could make it look like and think the answer may be to downsize the icon.

DanGreene_3-1706846373520.pngR2Calcs

Dan

SeaRM
by

@DanGreene 

Yes, you're right. It still looks as an ordinary script icon in Toolboxes. But I try to add it to Analysis Gallery and I can see my icon there.
(I tried to repeat your icon)

SeaRM_0-1706853548813.png

EsriQruqs

I would suggest combining the hammer with the Python logo. You can see it's a "tool" and you can see it's based on Python. Best of both worlds.

DanGreene

Hi EsriQrugs,

I am not sure I understand what you are saying.  My objective is to use my own custom icons and not ESRI icons.  Each tool needs a different icon.

Dan

DanGreene

Hi all,

I tried adding this icon from the PRO image library - 

DanGreene_0-1706906477486.png

It is also a PNG icon and I got the same result - the tool icon did not change.  I also reduced my original PNG icon in size and that did not work either.

So, at this point my conclusion is that this is a bug.  But I certainly could be wrong about that.  This would be very cool if it would work - custom icons for custom tools.

Dan

DanGreene

OK - not a bug - just implemented differently than I expected.

DanGreene_0-1707147579588.png