Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculate Field error 999999 "Invalid column value [VALUE] elaborate failure reasons

08-19-2022 09:49 AM
Labels (1)
SGuiryVR
New Contributor II

When I have been performing a field calculator operation in ArcGIS pro using a table join and while calculating the field the error 999999 comes up and it says "Invalid column value [VALUE]. After inspecting my data it turned out that I had to increase the number of characters in my text field so the calculate field tool worked successfully. 

I believe it would be beneficial to include something more descriptive as to why the tool failed as I sent a support ticket in and used up a lot of time for a relatively easy fix. something more like "too many characters in value [Value]" and maybe point out the specific feature or value where the field calculator failed.

6 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

I'm sorry that you received an error 999999. If we look at that error help, it tells us that these are considered bugs and need to be reported to technical support, "This error is considered a bug because there is missing exception handling in the tool. Contact Esri Technical Support to report a bug for your scenario."

To adhere to the idea submission guidelines, I'm closing this as it needs to be reported as a bug. 

KoryKramer_0-1660928041288.png

Thank you

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

KoryKramer

To follow up on this, since you mentioned that you already "sent a support ticket in" do you mean that you opened a case? If so, please be sure that the analyst logs a bug for this with steps to reproduce. That should be done as part of your technical support case. Thanks!

SGuiryVR

I did open a case through support and came to teh answer myself. when i messaged the support representative about my solution they told me to put in my recommendation on ideas, but they also said  that 'my feedback was documented in our case' so i do not know if a bug was reported.

KoryKramer

Thanks @SGuiryVR can you please give me the case number so that I can follow up on our side? Thank you

SGuiryVR

Hi @KoryKramer sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, I dont think I have push notifications so did not see that you replied to this message. the case # was #03119780. Thank you