Bring back separate viewer window for georeferencing

09-26-2023 08:15 PM
Labels (1)
AvaFarouche
Occasional Contributor

Hi! Could you please, please, please bring back the separate window viewer for georeferencing that existed in Map???  I do a LOT of georeferencing for my work, and it often involves matching up two land imagery or hillshade layers that have no road intersections, orderly land parcels or anything so linear. It is basically impossible to match up land contours in two different layers to create control points without being able to see them clearly and simultaneously next to each other. Transparency also does not work when dealing with land contours or hillshade. Everything just gets muddled.

It is inefficient, no matter what kind of layers I'm working with, to have to zoom back and forth between extents, or to click a layer on and off every time I need to create a control point. Every time I see someone do a demonstration of georeferencing in Pro, it's an extremely simple scenario, so that works ok. But for anything more complicated, it does not. I usually need to create many control points, and they are not based on any kind of grid pattern. They're usually based on land contours and maybe a proposed mine footprint or species habitat or water body- which follow organic patterns and are often very complex. So all of the zooming back and forth and clicking on and off adds a LOT of time.

But the main problem is just that it's next to impossible to create accurate control points at all. So far, I have just had to use Map for the georeferencing, and to create a shapefile around the imported image, and then import the shape into Pro. There are obvious problems with this, not the least of which is that Map is going to be phased out.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration!!!

1 Comment
wayfaringrob

I use QGIS for georeferencing, works in a separate window like you describe. Might be worth installing & trying since Esri rarely gets around to fixing quality-of-life problems in Pro.