Bring Back FGDC Metadata in ArcGIS 10

07-20-2010 11:57 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I have recently began testing the installation and use of ArcGIS 10 for my organization.  I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the metadata and its associated tools have been drastically changed.  I can no longer view many of the metadata elements that were easily accessed through ArcCatalog.  ESRI has migrated to the metadata to only ArcGIS metadata format.

I am requesting that the option to use FGDC format for metadata still be made available for users who are accustomed to that format.

Tags (1)
1 Comment
RebeccaNiggemann
Long live the FGDC Classic view of metadata... a simple list without 8 thousand tabs to open and close!
Seriously, who thought that having a million tabs to open and close was a good idea?  How did these new clunky formats ever get past user testing?

And why take away the drop-down list that allowed you to change the metadata view quickly?  Now we have to open a bunch of dialog boxes to change the style of metadata.  And, at least for me, it doesn't update the metadata view automatically.  I've got to click on another dataset and then back to my original one.  But maybe my system is acting wacky.