Automatically log information in GDBs about how the GDB or item was created

04-04-2023 07:21 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

When troubleshooting issues with file or mobile geodatabases, Support will often ask:

How was the geodatabase created? How was the FC/table created?

(Often the GDB is sent to Support to help with troubleshooting.)

We don't always have the answers to those questions; someone else might have created the GDB/item, or it was created too long ago to remember, etc. 

It would help if ArcGIS Pro auto-documented that sort of thing in a log table or in the properties. It wouldn't need to be overly detailed -- to keep the file size small. Just some info about what tool was used to create the object and when.

Would something like that be possible? I'm sure Support and the Dev team would appreciate having accurate information to work with, as would users/admins.

Edit:

This idea is for functionality to log info about how a GDB or item was created (i.e., what GP tool or UI tool was used to create the object, for troubleshooting purposes). And my assumption is the log info would have dates.

However, regarding tracking dates, there is some overlap with a related idea: Display FC creation date in Catalog properties.

2 Comments
BarryNorthey

Some of that is recorded in the Geoprocessing History in metadata. Not all metadata styles show it so you have to select one that does such as: 

BarryNorthey_0-1680619301219.png

RandyCasey

It would help if ArcGIS Pro auto-documented that sort of thing in a log table or in the properties.

Yes! I cannot kudo this enough. Far too often we are trying to determine what version of 3 or 4 (or more) feature classes, spread across multiple GDBs, that have been cloned, modified, cloned again, modified again, etc., is the original. This task is nearly impossible if Editor Tracking was never turned on and the editors/creators no longer work for the organization. Checking backups, hunting down APRX or MXD files that are associated with it, or sifting through metadata might give you clues, but just a simple "Created Date" on the feature class would solve the mystery in seconds and save hours of work.

Just a simple change log. Please consider this Esri!