Attributes - Editor toolbar : focus with multiple selection

03-03-2016 02:01 AM
Labels (1)
XavierLOZUPONE
New Contributor II

With a multiple selection, "attributes" tool (from editor toolbar) should put the focus on layer by default. Currently, the focus is on only 1 object, even if you select some objects.

0EME0000000kJSB

4 Comments
LandschapsbeheerFlevoland

I am creating a new dataset. Every time I make 3 features. These 3 features have to have the same attribute (namely house number). So I select the 3 features and go to the attribute window. However, the attribute window selects only one of the features instead of highlighting the top record (sort of containing all 3 features). This is annoying. If you are not carefull only the attribute of 1 feature will be modified instead of all three features.

I hope this makes the case clear enough and that more people have found this worth of attention.

Below: Screenshot of arcgis in edit mode with 3 features selected. With only 1 feature selected (or highlighted) in attribute window

screenshot of arcgis in edit mode with 3 features selected. However in the attribute window highlights only one of the features

KoryKramer

LBFlevoland‌ 

Is your idea the same as https://community.esri.com/ideas/3589‌ ?

If so, we can mark this as a Duplicate and direct votes to that Idea.

wayfaringrob

Yes. This persists into Pro. If I have the attribute pane open and I select multiple items, it's because I'm wanting to edit multiple items. Pro picking just one randomly does not make sense.

wayfaringrob

I am having a hard time thinking of a time where I selected multiple features but only wanted to edit one of them. I suppose there is a case for that, and perhaps I've done it myself, but I suspect that not only for me but the majority of users, that selecting multiple features means they want to do something with it most of the time.

Aside from Esri's own documentation not even explaining how to select everything in the layer (it instead tells you to Ctrl+click each individual item in the tree rather than the parent) - this is annoying. By default, the parent should be selected. Every single time I make a new selection, I have to remember to make the extra click on the parent (unless I happen to have just done so and immediately make a new selection).

wayfaringrob_0-1712623853205.png