Attribute Assistant Method for Python Snippet

03-01-2017 12:52 PM
Labels (2)
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor

--Add a method to invoke pre-written Python code upon creation of a new feature--

Attribute Assistant is an incredible asset, but it doesn't quite do everything.  I've got some Python that I use to do some complex geoprocessing whenever I add a new point feature to a particular layer.  It would be nice of AA could trigger a specified snippet of Python so I don't have to run it in the Python window. 

2 Comments
KoryKramer

Please keep an eye on the Attribute Rules functionality coming to a future release of ArcGIS Pro.  My understanding is that these rules will be based on the Arcade language (ArcGIS Arcade | ArcGIS for Developers ) meaning that they can be used across the ArcGIS Platform.

See the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap for a general idea of when we can expect to see Attribute Rules.

While this doesn't directly respond to incorporating a Python method in Attribute Assistant, Attribute Rules will be how Attribute Assistant-like functionality is implemented moving forward.  So you might start getting familiar with Arcade and see what you're able to do once Attribute Rules are in place in a future release of Pro.  The great thing is that because Arcade scripts are portable, your attribute rules can be read and executed not only in a desktop application like ArcGIS Pro, but also in a WebMap through a browser, or in a Mobile Application!

CraigCarsley

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like that might be a solution anyway.