Arcscan and Raster Clean Up support in ArcGIS Pro

10-20-2017 03:25 AM
Labels (1)
PietGerrits
New Contributor II

For digitizing images, maps and drawings, the raster clean up and Arcscan toolbar functions are a very useful tool to have and it can automate many line features. Unfortunately, I could not find this functionality in ArcGIS Pro, and very much hope that we will build in, in the future. 

15 Comments
JerryBartz

I support Amber Wittner's viewpoint.

With today's growing use of indoor Lidar scanning to create "as built" and "recently modified" floor-plans, there is increasing demand to have an ArcPRO raster (png) to vector tool. Such a tool would reduce workflow time and increase efficiency in both construction and BIM applications. 

apong
by

hello is it available now? or any alternate tool for arcscan? 

JamesKurbel

I've had success using GIMP to do raster cleanup on scanned or screenshots of parcel maps.  GIMP is a free GNU image manipulation program.  I then georeference the maps the same as you would do in ArcScan.  Once georeferenced, I run the Thin geoprocessing tool to get the parcel line width down to a minimum number of cells.  I the used the Raster to Polyline tool or the Raster to Polygon tool to convert the raster image to vector image.  I loaded these steps into a saved Task in ArcPro to streamline the workflow a bit.

Hope this helps.

BernieSkipper

In support of the Farm Bill, we ortho-rectify the atlas sheets and then create a mosaic of the images with the ERDAS IMAGINE software.  We use the ArcScan raster to vector tool to create the definitive SSURGO Version 1 vector dataset from the atlas sheet ortho-mosaic. 

The ERDAS software has raster to vector functionality, however I really like the customizing that you can do with the ArcScan settings:

beta_test_linesoutv1   178,831 line segments

• Maximum Line Width: 12    20             Noise Level: 99%                 Compression Tol.:0.15
  • Smoothing Wt.: 4             Gap Closure Tol.: 0             Fan Angle: NA               Hole Size: 12   20
  • Resolved Corners: Unchecked
BernieSkipper

I used the Thin geoprocessing tool on my beta-test mosaic to reduce the line width to the minimum number of pixels.  I then used the Raster to Polyline tool to convert the raster image to a vector feature class.  The Raster to Polyline tool extracted 1,363,560 lines from the resampled mosaic.  I extracted less than 200,000 lines using Arcscan from the same mosaic.  It is much easier to clean up and build polygons from 180,000 lines than to try to clean up more than a million lines.  The Raster to Polyline tool would need some type of a filter to reduce the number of lines extracted by more than half for it to be a practical alternative to Arcscan.

For example, the hole size setting in Arcscan prevents polylines from being extracted from the images of the letters on the atlas sheet.  The labels on the atlas sheet are standard sizes.  By setting the hole size at 20 pixels, I am telling the software that I do not want lines extracted from the letters ‘A’, ‘b’, ‘O’ etc.