ArcGIS should ignore non-FC columns

05-31-2022 07:29 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

It would be helpful if ArcGIS Pro (and ArcGIS in general) would intentionally ignore non-feature class columns.

For example, it would really help if we could add additional geometry columns to a FC. And use those columns in SQL queries. 

Let's say we have an Oracle SDE.ST_GEOMETRY polyline FC:

• Add an additional geometry column that is a different datatype (i.e. SDO_GEOMETRY).
  • Or, add a custom polygon geometry column.
  • Or, add a midpoint, startpoint, or endpoint geometry column.
    • I'm aware that numeric XY columns would be a valid workaround for point geometries. That works in a pinch for points, but not for lines or polygons.
  • Or other non-geometry columns that that aren't supported by ArcGIS.
    (Populate each via a simple db trigger.)

Currently, it's technically possible to add non-FC columns to a table via SQL ALTER statements. But unfortunately, ArcGIS isn't  designed to ignore those columns, so they end up causing problems. A known example is: an additional geometry column will cause errors with versioning in ArcGIS Pro.

Whereas, it would be ideal if ArcGIS were designed to intentionally ignore non-FC columns. So that we could use them for building performant SQL queries (on-the-fly geometry columns in queries aren't an option—they're painfully slow).

I'm aware there are other options, such as storing non-FC columns in related tables. That works as a last resort, but would take extra effort to manage. Whereas a simple column in a table would be easier in the long run. And wouldn't require constantly joining from the FC to the helper table in queries (can be costly for large tables).

Tags (1)