Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Renaming Data or Maps

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
DeonzaMohamed
New Contributor III

In ArcGIS Pro, renaming a map results in the creation of a duplicate that replaces the original map. The original map is not found any longer when you launch the ArcGIS Pro application as well as when navigating through file explorer. When opening the duplicate map, there is a series of red exclamation marks in the contents pane with the feature classes.

I was informed those mean the data has been disconnected from its original source. It seems you have to create a brand new map, adding the feature classes all over again. Can it be changed to where your renamed map is already there to click on in its original format? Thanks.

5 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@DeonzaMohamed What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

Can you provide additional steps/screenshots to show what you mean by renaming a map? For example, if I right-click to rename a map like this:

KoryKramer_0-1722016872639.png

it doesn't break layers. Can you provide more details?

Thanks

DeonzaMohamed

I am using ArcGIS Pro version 3.2.

It is difficult to do a screenshot in CITRIX VDI. ArcGIS Pro on a regular desktop can be slow sometimes. I was informed the red exclamation marks next to each layer mean there was a change in the file path connection. I renamed the map in File Explorer by right-clicking in the T Drive.

KoryKramer

Thanks @DeonzaMohamed in File Explorer, you say that you are renaming a map. So is that a .mapx file that you're renaming? Or are you renaming an ArcGIS Pro project (for example, .aprx file)?

We'll need additional information to understand the steps you're taking and how that is leading to broken layers.

If you are renaming data sources in file explorer, yes, that will break the layers in your maps because ArcGIS Pro is storing paths. If you change the path outside of ArcGIS Pro, you'll need to then repair the paths using update data sources.

Thank you

DeonzaMohamed

Hi Kory,

Yes, it was renamed in File Explorer. It is the .gdb files in ArcGIS Pro. It disconnected the file paths. Thank you for providing the tool to repair the paths. Kind Regards.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Thank you for the confirmation @DeonzaMohamed I'm glad that we were able to understand what was happening.