ArcGIS Pro - more Intuitive Default Legend Labels

02-13-2018 08:43 AM
Labels (1)
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

When I am creating a map in ArcGIS Pro, many times the default legend labels are not intuitive. In the picture below, you can see the labels default to <= 5 and <=10, which can cause confusion, because technically 3 would fit in the <= 10 category when in reality it would always be in the <=5 category.

A more intuitive approach would be like I've shown, having the default set to the range of values included. And in the last slot it could say "or greater" or "or higher," although I understand if that's not a common enough need. 

It seems to me like there's no reason to have the default set to what it currently is, since I've always learned that good map making should always consider the reader first. I hope this change will be implemented in a future release.

Moderator Note

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7. See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-more-intuitive-default-legend-labels/idc-p/1010434/highlight/true#M14606

18 Comments
CharlesGartside1

Yes, thank you. I came here to make a similar post to this.  

I spend a considerable amount of time manually making this change to my maps.  As you say, the default method of showing <= x, is not intuitive at all.  I want my readers to focus on the nuances of the map, and not trying to figure out the legend. 

Policy makers generally do not want to spend a ton of time analyzing a map, and every second they are trying to figure out the legend, that is a couple of seconds they could have been critically thinking about the content.

Exactly, when read, <=7 looks like "This category contains every value that is less than or equal to 7." But it there are lower values, that's never the case.

DuncanHornby

Some discussion about this can be found here, they are "thinking about it"....

Thanks for posting that - and to posting this idea to that thread as well!

ehallisey

If I'm understanding correctly, what you're suggesting for ArcGIS Pro as "intuitive" ranges, is actually the method used for labeling classes in ArcGIS Desktop. ArcGIS Pro should never have used those technically incorrect "<=" labels in the first place. 

JasonGillow1

Same problem - work around go into ArcMap bring your data in create the new "intuitive" ranges - save as a layer file and open Pro bring in the layer file saved from ArcMap. But Pro??

IsabelCorcos

I have this exact frustration, the default in Pro is a huge waste of time for me. I want the intuitive way back. I have Pro 2.2.4. Has this been addressed in this release ?

JasonGillow1

Nope not in 2.3 either

HughHoward

Yes, the <= approach is HIGHLY unorthodox and misleading. It is not supported in the cartographic literature or in practice.

And... would it kill ESRI to call the graduated color map by its true name? It's a CHOROPLETH!

IsabelCorcos

I have 2.4 now and it's still not fixed. Does anyone know of a script or model that could do this?