ArcGIS Pro functions for map services

04-22-2020 01:30 AM
Labels (1)
AdolfŠikola
New Contributor II

I believe that ArcGIS Pro should also include features for managing map services such as:

• stopping map service
  • starting map service
  • restart map service
  • delete map service
47 Comments
RandyKreuziger1

Could those of you attending the ESRI UC in a few weeks find the ArcGIS Server island (or whatever it's called) and advocate for these enhancements.  I'm not going but for those who go this is a chance to talk to the top ESRI people and possibly light a fire under them.  

LukeSavage

@RandyKreuziger1 Agreed.  I'm not going to the conference either and would be good for someone to check on this.  Any esri ambassadors out there that can take this task on?

MatthewStull1

Great idea Randy K. I'm not going to the UC either but I hope someone on this thread will talk to them about it.

MarkSmith

Good idea, thank you.  I wouldn't call these just enhancements, they are missing core functionality that makes Pro an 'Amateur' compared to the functionality I use in ArcCatalog.  All the above mentioned tools plus things like targeting areas for caching and changing service settings/functionality, it's all so convenient and slick in Catalog, it's going to be a nightmare to use Manager instead - I'm hanging on to Desktop for as long as I can until ESRI address it. 

LukeSavage

Guess what, during the break in plenary session this afternoon, they are saying ArcGIS Pro won't have support to administrating ArcGIS Server services.  Totally bummed.  They are talking possibly Portal.  Well then, in my opinion, it would be better to merge ArcGIS Server Manager in the Portal experience for the role of ArcGIS Enterprise Administrator.  Also, we need to be able to be able to select on multiple services to turn on and off all at once.  Merging the engine of arcgis server with portal would be great since we are looking at microservices anyways creating a better upgrade and install experience.  Also, helps performance scaling.

MatthewStull1

Yea, I heard that too, it is a bummer.   I'll 2nd your idea @LukeSavage but my only concern is that not everyone will have Portal.  So there needs to be a non-Portal solution or tool as well.  

LukeSavage

@MatthewStull1 I get it.  However, if they merge both in the next release or future releases, it would make sense.  I don't think older tech will be developed on since the backend is going to change to microservices.

JoeGuzi

Greetings, 

I have a few stand alone ArcGIS Servers that are not federated with portal, so merging ArcGIS Server Manager with the portal experience will not help me. I echo my colleagues. This functionality needs to be in ArcGIS Pro. Thank you for everything and have a delightful day.

Sincerely,

Joe Guzi

SusanCarlson

Yeah, I'm bummed about this. I hope they improve functionality in Server Manager. I agree that I'm not sure how incorporating it into Portal will help with stand-alone Server installs. All of our public services are stand-alone. We only use Enterprise/Portal internally. 

LukeSavage

I think ArcGIS Enterprise will change in the future.  I've referenced Microservices and I think the technology will change to scale differently than what you have currently.  That doesn't help you today but technology changes and the architecture you have currently will rapidly change.  There are threshold issues with ArcGIS Server requiring multiple instances but in the future this most likely will change.  We shall see how microservices evolves in the esri technologies.  All I'm saying that there are trends and don't be surprised by a radical change in how we deploy enterprise which I believe will help future upgrades and deployments of enterprise.