ArcGIS Pro Design Field could support full field lengths

08-12-2019 11:13 AM
Labels (1)
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

At the moment, I only get to specify 29 characters for a field name when using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 with an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server 2016.  When I try to enter the 30th character, the input field stops receiving and reflecting the character I typed.  I tried copy/pasting the field name string, but ArcGIS Pro would not acknowledge that I had entered anything.  Seems inadequate when it is said in the documentation that ArcGIS Pro supports 31 character field names in SQL Server and 64 character field names in file geodatabases.

How I got there:  ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 > (file or enterprise) geodatabase > table > right-click > Design > Fields

What I'll try next:

• using ye olde ArcMap to change the field name
  • dumping an XML Workspace document, loading it into Sparx Enterprise Architect, twiddling the field name, exporting it, importing using ArcGIS Pro
3 Comments
KoryKramer

This is the bug describing the behavior: BUG-000106643: The fields view in ArcGIS Pro does not allow creatin.. 

A workaround listed there is "Use the Add Field tool in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap to create a field with a longer field name."

TimMinter

Thanks Kory!

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Closing this as an idea since it is with the development team as a bug: BUG-000106643: The fields view in ArcGIS Pro does not allow creatin.. 

If you are experiencing the same problem, please visit the bug link provided above and click Subscribe which will set you up for notifications and also increments the count of affected users to help prioritize the issue.

KoryKramer_0-1632249739893.png

Thank you