ArcGIS Pro Catalog View - missing my computer, database servers

11-14-2019 08:44 AM
Labels (1)
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

When using the Catalog in ArcGIS Pro I noticed that "Computer" and "Database Server" are not included by default in the contents list. 

I think "Computer" should be included because that is a good starting point to connect to File Geodatabases on our local machine and our network.  My non GIS coworkers will not adopt ArcGIS Pro without it.  

I am also concerned that "Database Server" is not included as well.  In ArcCatalog I had always thought that "Database Connections" are there to connect to data that ArcGIS may or may not be able to administer and edit such as a PostGIS database.  Alternatively I thought "Database Server" was to manage ArcSDE Geodatabases that ArcGIS can administer such as a File Geodatabase stored in SQL Server Express.   Did they merge "Database Server" and "Database Connections" in ArcGIS Pro.  NOTE: Either way I would still like the all the ArcSDE databases to appear in the catalog by default.  I do not want to reconnect to my ArcSDE server for each project.

Thanks!

1 Comment
KoryKramer

Thanks for submitting this Mark Volz‌ 

For this part 

I think "Computer" should be included because that is a good starting point to connect to File Geodatabases on our local machine and our network.  My non GIS coworkers will not adopt ArcGIS Pro without it. 

you mention Computer being a good starting point to connect...  So, if I have highlighted the Databases container in the Contents pane and either right-click or use the Add button, it brings up the Select Existing Geodatabase dialog which is populated with Computer > Desktop, Documents, etc. and mapped drives.

Same when adding a folder connection.

I might recommend that you re-title the idea to request Database Server functionality in Pro like you have in Catalog.  It has been brought up here and there in the past- Manage Sql Server Express there was a comment in 2017 

I looked and it was brought up in the discussion around creating a standalone "Data Catalog for ArcGIS Pro" type of application: Add Stand Alone Data Catalog Like ArcCatalog to ArcGIS Pro See Shawn Beecher's comment from June 15, 2017.

But that's about all I can find.  So maybe making this idea specifically about Database Server functionality would be beneficial.

Finally, for this 

I do not want to reconnect to my ArcSDE server for each project.

are you using Favorites to manage your connections?  You can have connections persisted in every project you create if you want: ArcGIS Pro Tips: This Might Just Be Your Favorite Tip Ever