New Contributor III

I would like to have a 3D north arrow that i can add in my layout of a 3D scene

Tags (2)
14 Comments
Paulo_Jorge_AntunesCruz
Yes still waiting for a solution

##- Por favor digite sua resposta acima desta linha -##
NathanShephard

Thanks for the interest in this capability. 

Question for the group - if there was an option to include the on-screen Navigator control (when exporting images and animation-videos) would that meet your needs?

The biggest caveat would be "the appearance and styling of the north arrow overlay would not be configurable" (which matches the 10.x ArcScene case).  We'd clear out all the 'controls and buttons' so it'd just be the actual direction indicator.

Example - the north-only indicator, vs the full 3D indicator styling.

Scene_WithSimpifiedNavigatorControl.png

Thanks,

-Nathan.

by Anonymous User
I think the "North Only" arrow would work great. The arrow not being editable, would also be fine. Thanks for working on a solution.

sgartrell

Kudoed.

In the meantime, I'm using this workaround:

• create a new point layer in your scene, with a feature where you'd like your arrow
  • in the north arrow layer's properties:
    • set its elevation high enough above the ground to prevent the terrain from obscuring it
    • in the display menu, select "Display 3D symbols in real-world units"
  • in the "layers" tab of the north arrow layer's symbology properties:
    • symbolize it with a north arrow SVG (like this one) with desired color and size
    • under the "Rotation" dropdown, uncheck "billboard"

This should create a north arrow that points north, floating above the ground at a fixed distance. Additionally, you can achieve a so-so 3D effect for the arrow by copy/pasting the symbol layer in the "structure" tab of the symbology properties (the wrench icon) and iteratively increasing the "depth" parameter. 

Final Result: