ArcGIS Pro 2.6: A geoprocessing tool to concatenate values of a table,

08-09-2020 01:14 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6: A geoprocessing tool to concatenate values of a table,

It would be great if we got an out of the box geoprocessing tool that concatenates values of a table. I’m aware of that such tool could be available but I wanted this tool to be built in in the Pro

In the screenshot below, the result of concatenation of attribute table P1 is represented in the stand-alone table T3

32 Comments
DanPatterson
# ---- it is called Calculate Field or the field calculator
# ---- no need to type the field names, just select them

f"{!Locality!}, {!Type!}" # ---- option 1

({}, {}".format(!Locality!, !Type!)  # ---- option 2

!Locality!} + ", " + {!Type!}  # ---- option 3
JoshuaBixby

Although concatenation isn't about statistics, I think expanding Summary Statistics functionality to support concatenation of string/text fields makes more sense than creating a whole new tool.  In Python and many other programming languages, the same "+" that is used to sum numerics is also used to concatenate text, so why not have Summary Statistics sum text?

ColeAndrews

Dan Patterson‌, the idea is proposing a GP tool with a new output that has less rows than the input. Field calculator doesn't solve this.

DanPatterson

Can't be done in a gdb, you can concatenate into a new field and delete the old ones.  The extra effort to do this doesn't warrant bulging the Pro code base, when simple workflows already exist

It sort of falls into the category of this Idea

https://community.esri.com/ideas/3495 

which won't get implemented

ColeAndrews

You lost me. This can easily be accomplished with a GP tool, I can do it in modelbuilder already. The request is just for it to be packaged as an out of the box GP tool...

DanPatterson

see the link I added

JamalNUMAN

Correct Cole. What I wanted by this idea is to have this tool as an out of the box.

DanPatterson
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Hi DAN,

May you please explain more how to use these codes, applying calculate feild tool does not end with the required results.

Best

Majdoleen

DanPatterson

As easy as 1,2,3 etcetera