ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: The “New” tool doesn’t respect the unchecked “without a project template” option

11-01-2019 04:48 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: The “New” tool doesn’t respect the unchecked “without a project template” option

I observed that the “New” tool doesn’t respect the unchecked “without a project template” option. I expected that this tool will never require specifying where to save the aprx file before proceeding! i.e, it should create an unknown aprx file without the need to ask first where to save it!

4 Comments
KoryKramer

I think that there is some nuance that needs to be explored on this one.

That button is to Create a new project.

But you're trying to correlate that action to your "Start ArcGIS Pro" options.

The 'without a project template' setting defines how ArcGIS Pro starts up when the application is opened.

So if I'm working in a project, and I want to open a new project without a template (an Untitled project), I wouldn't use the Create a new project, instead, I would just open another instance of Pro and it will start up without a project template - which I believe is what you are trying to accomplish.

JamalNUMAN

Thanks Kory

Precisely! Then how can I get the same behavior for the “New” tool as if I’m starting the Pro? Is there an option for that?

What I wanted here is to start all the time with the unknown aprx file such that I can save it later wherever I need. I don’t need to engage myself first with where I should save the file. This is how all software works and how ArcMap does. ArcMap starts with unkown mxd file and then it can be saved wherever one needs.

JamalNUMAN

is this planned in 2.8?

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration