ArcGIS Aliases used in Query builder

05-21-2010 02:40 AM
SusetteMartin4
New Contributor II

Would it be possible to use the Aliases values, that is setup under the Layer Properties, Fields tab, through out the system, e.g. when you use the query builder it would display the Alias name and not the field name? 

Susette

4 Comments
DougYates1
This would be nice but i would want it to allow either the alias or the true column name.  Perhaps "NameFieldActual (Name)" in the UI.  Then the UI would just choose one (I'd suggest the alias) to pass to the query.  The query however would support either the real name or the alias.
WesleyMarcell
This would be a great addition.  When joining a table to a feature layer you end up with extremely long field names which clutters code and makes everything more complex than it should be.

It would be much easier to build a query off of the alias "FieldName" vs what we are required to do now "Database.User.Tablename.FieldName" or "Database.User.FeatureClass.FieldName"

Would love to see this happen.

WesleyMarcell
Would be great.  If you have ever built query's off of joined tables you know how something that should be simple gets complex very quickly. 
Alias is much easier to script than "DatabaseName.UserName.Table/FeatureName.FieldName"
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Already Offered

I realize this is a very old idea, but I stumbled across it just now and figured I'd comment.  

It is possible to switch between field name and alias in the query builders.

Examples:

KoryKramer_0-1613758438167.png

KoryKramer_1-1613758502957.png