ArcCatalog Dataset Preview - allow option to set default view to Table

06-10-2010 07:00 AM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

When previewing datasets in ArcCatalog the view always defaults to Geography. I want to be able to set a preference that allows viewing tables as the default (or any other item in that drop-down menu). Waiting for the layer to draw first can take too long. Especially if it is a large dataset, a complex dataset, a slow computer, etc.

4 Comments
JeffSchloss
Hooray for this one.  I have wasted way too much time fighting the annoying default of geography.  I'd be happy if ArcCatalog even just remembered what I last chose much less letting me set a default.
TomMagdaleno
I agree, I waste to much time waiting for the geography preview.  99.9% of the time I use the preview to see how many records are in a table or the start and ending ID number of records, etc.
JohnDye
So simple, ESRI. Let's see this in 10.1.2, eh?
JohnTownsend
I also agree.  Please make this an option.  Large datasets pose a major problem for this.  We know what the geography view of a parcel layer looks like. I want to see the tabular data.  In addition, being able to select by attributes in this view without having to pull data into ArcMap would be lovely.  Thanks.