Select to view content in your preferred language

Alter Field should be able to do everything Fields View can do (such as change the domain)

10 hours ago
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB:

The Fields View can modify the following properties of an empty FC:

• Data Type
  • Allow NULLs
  • Domain
  • Default value

But the Alter Field geoprocessing tool can't change those properties.

Bud_0-1723821377694.png

It would be more intuitive if the Alter Fields tool had equivalent functionality to the Fields View.

6 Comments
SSWoodward

Thanks for the Idea @Bud,

You're correct alter field does not have an option to assign a domain.  This is by design. 

Alter field is used to set properties of the field, like name, alias, length, etc. which cannot differ between subtypes.  Properties like domain assignment, and default value, on the other hand, can be set uniquely per subtype and so have separate tools.  Assign Domain to Field and  Assign Default to Field require the ability to target specific subtypes and so are discrete tools. 

Bud
by

@SSWoodward 

Makes sense. Would it help if I changed the idea title to "Alter Field — Change field Data Type and Allow NULL"? Or something else?

SSWoodward

You also mentioned that you would like the tool to be able to change the field type and nullability of a field.  These options are already offered in the tool.  Selecting an input class will display them if the table meets the requirements for making these types of schema changes.

SSWoodward_0-1723822643487.png

Bud
by

@SSWoodward Ah, ok. Feel free to close.

SSWoodward

Looks like you beat me to post while I was grabbing a screen shot.  If you were to change the idea to that I would close as already offered. 

Are you not seeing these options in your software?  

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Already Offered

Thanks @Bud 

Glad we could clear up that this functionality is already available in the current software.