Allow users to validate topology within a defined extent via python

04-05-2016 06:34 AM
Labels (1)
SarahMoussadji
Occasional Contributor

With the current 'Validate Topology' geoprocessing tool, there is an option to use the 'visible extent' parameter to validate only the current extent of your data. If I were to create a python script to validate topology, I would still need to execute the script from within ArcMap if I wanted to validate portions of the data at a time (using the visible extent). 

The reason I want to be able to validate portions of the topology of a time is because if I were to validate the entire dataset I would exceed the error threshold for topology. The reason I have so many errors is because I am creating a topology to load into a parcel fabric, and my staging data has a significant number of connection lines that must be marked as exceptions. 

My ideal is to build the topology and validate it all within a stand alone python script, but with the current Validate Topology tool, I have to run the process from within ArcMap. I think it would be very helpful if instead of a simple "visible extent" checkbox, I could manually specify the extent (either by typing in the coordinates, or by loading a polygon feature class to define the extent). This would make the tool much more robust when being run from a stand alone python script. 

1 Comment
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Under Consideration