Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow editing vertices of connected edges while editing a topology node

02-07-2024 01:39 PM
Labels (1)
ChrisWozniak
New Contributor II

The ability to edit specific vertices along topology edges while editing the associated node would be such a QOL improvement and save lots of time for edit-heavy workflows.

What I am specifically referring to how you can ONLY edit edges OR nodes separately, but not at the same. When selecting a topology edge, the vertices appear as so:

ChrisWozniak_0-1707340751919.png

And when selecting a node, only the node is editable:

ChrisWozniak_1-1707340940592.png

However, when I select a node, I want to be able to have vertices of connected edges still selectable/editable, so I can avoid having to awkwardly select multiple edges one at a time, making edits, THEN selecting the node, and then reshaping the edges to fit the sketch.

In the following example, you can see that if I were to simply move this edge to the desired snapping point, my edges (and thus polygons) would overlap and result in typology errors and a general mess:

ChrisWozniak_3-1707341440401.pngChrisWozniak_4-1707341455414.png

Being able to edit\delete those adjacent vertices would allow me quickly make the edit, without being forced to cancel my operation and sit through rebuilding topology over and over again.

I'm aware there is the option to 'stretch topology', but that ruins any vertices that are already snapped where I want them to be.

Thank you for reading!

3 Comments
Scott_Harris
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@ChrisWozniak 

Regarding what you said here:

Being able to edit\delete those adjacent vertices would allow me quickly make the edit, without being forced to cancel my operation and sit through rebuilding topology over and over again.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are being forced to cancel your operation.

1. What operation did you have in progress that you need to cancel?
  2. What do you mean exactly when you say you are forced to cancel it?
  3. Are you clicking "Change the selection" (see image below) or are you doing something else to get to the point where you can select vertices and move them after moving a node? The other way would be to move the node > click somewhere on the empty space (this changes the tool back to active select) > click on the edge where you want to move vertices > move the vertices.

Scott_Harris_0-1707403397765.png

It might be helpful to see a video your current workflow (if that's possible). Or I've made a GIF of what I see when I attempt what you describe. Note that I don't have to cancel anything or wait for the topology graph to build. Please compare what you see to what I show in the GIF below. Perhaps there is a performance issue that you see?

toponodes.gif

Thanks for any clarification!

-Scott

ChrisWozniak

Hi Scott,

Thank for you replying!

Let me first respond to your three questions:

1) By 'operation', I just meant the current edit I am making, with committing geometry changes. Immediately after making any geometry change edit, either to a node or edge, topology needs to be rebuilt which can sometimes really slow down workflows with certain environments (this isn't me attempting to troubleshoot topology/database performance — just showing why this can slow down workflows):

Building Topology.gif

2) I'm not 'forced' to cancel my edit, but rather if I were to try to move my node to the desire spot without first clearing the way (moving/deleting closest vertices) to prevent overlapping edges, it results in unwanted effects:

Moving Node First.gif

3) I've always just used the click somewhere on the empty space way to change selections.

----------------------------------------------------

Your workflow and video are showing the edits in order of first moving the node, and then moving the connected edge vertices. In certain situations, like above in my example above, this isn't ideal and results in a topology mess which takes longer to clean up. So I am kind of forced to clear the way by deleting the nearest vertices on connected edges to prevent overlapping edges:

Clearing Way.gif

It would be very nice to simply be able to have access to edit those connected edge's vertices without having to change the selection (and thus sit through rebuilding topology). This way the workflow would change to: select node, both the node and vertices of edges affiliated with the node become available to edit, delete the in-the-way vertices (or otherwise modify them however needed), move node, finish. This would save tons of extra clicks and topology building down-time.

I would assume this is possible as those connected edges can be changed (edit: *influenced*) by the user if the 'stretch topology' option is toggled. 

Thanks,

Chris

Scott_Harris
Status changed to: Open

@ChrisWozniak Thanks for the clarification. I'll move this Idea back to Open so others can vote on it. Your videos and added description are helpful.